Gathering People In
"I was a stranger and you welcomed me." Jesus, Matthew 25.35b
We strive for Second Congregational Church to be a place of gracious hospitality and extravagant welcome, creating a space that is open to those in need and those new to our community.
- No matter who you are, or where you are on life’s journey, you have a church home here.
- Our doors are open for both church activities and to the wider community to meet and find greater connection and wholeness.
- We are committed to reaching out to those looking for church home, so that they might know the love of God which we have experienced here.
- We strive to use a variety of mediums to build our faith community and stay connected.
- We strive to be a place where all visitors return to journey with us as vital traveling companions.
Taking Care of People
"Let love be genuine; Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all." Romans 12
Congregational Care is the broad spectrum of care offered to and by members and friends of Second Congregational Church. Our faith encompasses our entire being; it is practiced at church, in the home, at work, and in the community.
- Worship provides a nurturing atmosphere where we explore and celebrate our quest for God, who loves and cares for all.
- Christian Education provides a safe space for children, youth, and adults to grow in faith, knowledge, and love through Christ Jesus.
- Through prayer, visitation, and tangible acts of love we live together as Christian community through life’s challenges and blessings.
- Support from the church family and pastoral care witness to God’s presence in our lives amid illness, tragedy, loss, and life transitions.
- Small groups provide opportunities for connection and growth. In small groups you may choose to study the Bible, discuss theology, share your faith journey, sing and ring out praise, and/or serve others.
- People of all ages are an integral part of our community. Children, youth, and adults are welcome and participate in our worshiping.
- Our covenant for working together includes honest, respectful, direct communication. We seek to understand one another, even if we do not agree. We all take responsibility for any direction we, as a congregation, decide to take.
Mission & Outreach
Sending People Out
"He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6.8
Mission and Outreach are a mark of our discipleship – our faith lived in the world. Second Church nurtures both corporate and individual practices of service that take place within the wider community and world.
- We are people who are “doers of the word, not merely hearers.” James 1.22
- Through our partnering with local service agencies we live out Christ’s call to minister to the least, the lost, and the lonely. Currently we work closely in partnership with Beverly Bootstraps, Beverly Affordable Housing Coalition, Salem Mission, HAWC, and Riverhouse.
- We follow Christ’s call to the end of the earth. Through our work with Global Ministries, Church World Service, Heifer International, and World Vision, we stand against hunger, poverty and injustice. Most significantly our partnership in ministry with the orphanage Casa San Jose’ in Colima, Mexico, is an example of our mutual transformation through mission.
- Our mission is also “in-reach” as we open our doors to many community groups that find a meeting space within our church building.
- We find joy in serving others.